Monday, August 10, 2015

Teen arrested after shooting another Ferguson protester

On Sunday, August 9, 2015, the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office issued charges on 17 year old Trevion Hopson for two counts of Unlawful Use of a Weapon and one count of Resisting Arrest Detention/Stop by Fleeing.

Hopson is being held on a $100,000 cash only bond.

At approximately 12:00 a.m. on August 9, 2015, officers from the Ferguson Police Department were dispatched to a call for shots fired in the area of W. Florissant and Ferguson Avenue. Officers from the St. Louis County Police Department and Missouri State Highway Patrol located a male victim, 22 years of age, on the parking lot of Family Dollar (9070 W. Florissant Road) suffering from a gunshot wound and rendered aid.

The victim stated he was standing in the parking lot of the strip mall located in the 9100 block of W. Florissant Road, across from the McDonald’s, when he was struck in the arm by a gunshot. The victim was transported to a local hospital with non life threatening injuries.

The probable cause statement of facts reads: Hopson attended the protests for the one year anniversary of the officer involved shooting with Michael Brown. During the protest, Hopson was wearing a backpack containing a firearm. Hopson pulled his firearm and shot at a specific target and was later seen by several law enforcement officers running down W. Florissant firing multiple shots into the fleeing crowd.

Hopson then put his firearm back in his backpack. When approached by law enforcement officers, the defendant dropped his backpack and ran from the scene. The foot chase continued for a while but Hopson was ultimately apprehended. Hopson confessed and both the gun and backpack were recovered.

Detectives from the St. Louis County Police Crimes Against Person’s Unit conducted the investigation and presented the case to the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney’s office where the above charges were issued.

No comments:

Post a Comment