Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Scott Walker’s departure from national politics Wisconsin’s gain
By M.D. Kittle
MADISON, Wisconsin — Gov. Scott Walker went from top-tier candidate to the second contestant out of the presidential sweepstakes in a matter of weeks.
On Monday, after one national poll showed support for the Republican governor barely registering, Walker announced he’s suspending his campaign.
In doing so, he criticized a candidate-selection process filled with personal attacks.
“In the end, I believe that voters want to be for something and not against someone. Instead of talking about how bad things are, we want to hear about how we can make them better for everyone,” Walker said in his farewell statement.
“Today, I believe that I am being called to lead by helping to clear the race so that a positive conservative message can rise to the top of the field. With that in mind, I will suspend my campaign immediately.”
Walker encouraged other Republican presidential candidates to consider doing the same “so the voters can focus on a limited number of candidates who can offer a positive conservative alternative to the current frontrunner.” It was a clear shot at Donald Trump, who has seen his political fortunes fall after last week’s debate at the Ronald Reagan Library.
“This is fundamentally important to the future of the party and — ultimately — to the future of our country,” Walker said.
Trump fired back.
“I look forward to Governor Walker supporting my campaign when I am the Republican nominee,” Trump said in a statement to Breitbart.com.
The Republican governor rode a wave of support for much of the year on the success of his wide-raging conservative reforms in the Badger State. But a series of gaffes and a host of campaign organization problems forced Walker to drop out of the race, following former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who exited before last week’s debate.
Posted by Pundit Press