On September 11, Ansar al-Sharia carried out an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Ambassador J. Chris Stevens was killed in the attack. Secretary Clinton was initially told that Ansar al-Sharia had taken credit for the attacks; however, she blamed an internet video slamming Muslims that night on MSNBC.
The next day, September 12, she received an email saying the attack could have been because of an internet video. That was quickly debunked, however, the next day.
That day, September 13, Secretary Clinton was emailed by Sidney Blumenthal, who told her specifically that the attack had been linked to Ansar al-Sharia.
Ms. Clinton responded the same day, September 13th, saying that information "should get around asap." Without question, she was now aware that the plan had been planned and carried out by a terrorist organization.
However, the next day she and the White House specifically said that there was "no evidence" that the attack was pre-planned. In fact, Secretary Clinton specifically claimed that there was another reason for the attack: a YouTube video.
Separately, Press Secretary Jay Carney, stated unequivocally that no evidence existed tying the attack to anything other than a video.
"And my point was that we don’t have and did not have concrete evidence to suggest that this was not in reaction to the film," he said answering a reporter's question.
We now know that this too was a lie.
It was very difficult researching this article, as both MSNBC and the White House have scrubbed damning evidence from their websites. Thanks to Archive.org, however, I was able to find the pages in their original form.