On Thursday, potential 2016 GOP presidential candidate Dr. Ben Carson kicked off CPAC 2015. Dr, Carson addressed several topics including Common Core, Obamacare, political correctness, racism, terrorism, and expansive welfare programs.
Here are some interesting quotes from Dr. Carson's remarks:
1. “We need to understand what true compassion is to reach out to individuals who think that being dependent is reasonable as long as they feel safe. It’s not compassion to pat them on the head and say, ‘There, there, I’m going to take care of all your needs, your health care, your food.' That’s the opposite of compassion."
2. “I think it is vitally important that we understand that we are all in the same boat. And the thing that will really strengthen the fabric of this nation is if we get people off of the state of dependence.
“But in order to do that, in order to reform the entitlements, we first must have a vibrant economy.”
3. “I’m not interested in getting rid of a safety net, I’m interested in getting rid of dependency.”
4. "Obamacare is about restriction and control. Everything that these programs were supposed to fix has gotten worse."
5. “One of the things that is going to destroy us as a nation is our debt. The size of our government needs to be going down and the debt needs to be going down."
6. "I absolutely refuse to submit to the p.c. police. I will continue to speak out and I will continue to say things. You know, I have learned not to be quite so caustic.
"There are things that sometimes you say without thinking them through deeply and people just remember that and don't remember anything else."
7. “We have a president now who is coming up with all these executive orders. This is wrong. And what [Congress] needs to do is defunding everything, including his golf.”
8. “I’m ready for leadership on the world stage and not just sitting around and waiting to see what other people do."