During his interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria, President Obama claimed that 99.9% of Muslims reject radical Islam.
"You know, I think that the way to understand this is there is an element growing out of Muslim communities in certain parts of the world that have perverted the religion, have embraced a nihilistic, violent, almost medieval interpretation of Islam, and they're doing damage in a lot of countries around the world.
"But it is absolutely true that I reject a notion that somehow that creates a religious war because the overwhelming majority of Muslims reject that interpretation of Islam. They don't even recognize it as being Islam, and I think that for us to be successful in fighting this scourge, it's very important for us to align ourselves with the 99.9% of Muslims who are looking for the same thing we're looking for--order, peace, prosperity," President Obama said.
Let's take a look and see if the numbers support President Obama's 99.9% claim.
A 2007 poll conducted by the PolicyExchange in Britain revealed that 60% of Muslims prefered to live under British law. However, 37% of 16 to 24-year-olds said they would prefer Sharia law.
In that same poll, almost a third of 16 to 24-year-olds said that Muslims converting to another religion should be executed.
In a 2008 YouGov poll. 55% of Muslims said offensive words or behavior justified the use of violence.
Here are the numbers from a 2007 Pew Research poll asking if suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets to defend Islam is justified:
1. 64% of Muslims in France believed it should never be justified.
2. 70% of Muslims in Britain believed it should never be justified.
3. 83% of Muslims in Germany believed it should never be justified.
4. 69% of Muslims in Spain believed it should never be justified.
Here are the numbers from the same poll using Muslim countries and those with large Islamic populations:
1. 45% of Muslims in Egypt believed it should never be justified.
2. 61% of Muslims in Turkey believed it should never be justified.
3. 43% of Muslims in Jordan believed it should never be justified.
4. 28% of Muslims in Nigeria believed it should never be justified.
5. 69% of Muslims in Pakistan believed it should never be justified.
6. 71% of Muslims in Indonesia believed it should never be justified.
According to a 2013 Pew Research Center asking if attacks on civilians are justified revealed that 72% of Muslims said violence against civilians is never justified. This 2013 survey did not include the following Muslim nations: Iran, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Yemen, Syria, and Libya. The also survey did include the heavily populated Muslim countries of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Nigeria and Indonesia.